CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 22, 2008

Ketchikan Day 6

Ketchikan was Alaska's first city and is the Salmon capital of the world. We got there at 7 am and had to be back by 1pm. Way too short. Our trip for the day was the Jeep 4x4 trip with canoeing and nature hike. This was the funnest excursion by far. As you can see from the photos, it was raining. Big surprise.

Here is a creek that was right outside from where we parked our Jeeps. Very pretty.
The coolest part about this trip was that we were allowed to drive the Jeep's ourselves. I have never experienced such fun reckless abandoment. It was awesome. We went up these old mining trails in 4 wheel drive and just bounced the things all over the place. We went through huge puddles and over rocks at 15 miles an hour. I have never seen Eldon in this light. He loved it. We had two passengers with us, a mom and her teenage daughter that just wanted to ride, not drive. We all had a blast. It was great because we were dry and having a great time.
Here is the picture of us with our passengers. Of course my eyes are closed in both pictures.



After we got out of the Jeeps, they put Ponchos and life jackets on us and then we got into canoes, in the rain. I didn't get any pictures of us canoeing because it was raining and there were some very weak paddlers in our boat so Eldon and I had alot of the work to do to get us across the lake. It was pouring, and the wind was blowing but it was beautiful.

When we got across the lake, they had a shelter with hot chocolate, chowder and smoked salmon. It tasted so good. They had you put raspberry jam on a roll with some smoked salmon and it was delicious. I had a bowl of soup, a sandwich, and hot chocolate. They then took us on a nature hike. You can see the huge tree below. I do have on a sweater, parka, life jacket and poncho here. I know I look 1200 pounds. I have no idea who the lady is behind the tree.

Here is the typical outfit in Ketchikan. This is just some random man but I thought the outfit said more than what I could write.




0 comments: