CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Yikes Ike

I know many of you have posted with pictures regarding the typhoon that swept through Columbus. I really have no desire to remember it. I especially have no desire to remember how I looked during it. I have special hair. It has to be washed and fixed everyday. That doesn't sound like much of a selling point on this hairstyle, but really it only takes 3 minutes to do. So I like it. You are probably wondering why I am talking about my hair while I am posting on Hurricane Ike. Well this was really all that I could think about over the last few days. " How am I supposed to do my hair?" We just got power back this afternoon (Tuesday). Luckily one by one people I knew were getting theirs back so I could do my hair at their home.

On Sunday I wasn't feeling well and so I was going to go home right after Sacrament Meeting. I was detained by some RS issues but got home about 3:15. I found within in me some energy to get the dishes in the dish washer and a load of laundry done. I had no idea the storm was tracking to be so awful. When Eldon got home, we put the dinner in the oven and started boiling the potatoes. We had power right up until the dinner was done. We ate, left an awful mess and then joined our neighbors in the street to see what was happening. We were very lucky to not lose any trees. I was told that our home lost lots of trees in storms from the past, so we had good sturdy ones left. The craziest thing was all of the flying acorns. There are 10000000's of them. If anyone has any kids who want or need acorns, we have TONS.

My sister and her family had come over for dinner and it was really fun to have them there to ride out the storm. We put the kids to bed and then sat out on the deck with a candle and some scotch - a - roos that my sister had made. It was fun, dark, and kind of weird.

The next morning, Eldon got up and went to work, and I stayed home with the kids. I went out into the panic looking for a way to charge my cell phone. I bought some bread and a few things and we just hung out all day. It was fun at times, and really not at others. But luckily we were able to escape to the park and play with friends. That night the kids were filthy and exhausted. Not my favorite combination while at a restaurant. But we went to Max and Erma's for dinner and then put the kids in a dark tub and to bed. Eldon and I watched some You Tube on his iPhone and that was about it.

Today was fine because my sister got power and I was able to do my hair. I did go through the Wendy's drive through with wet hair, but other than that I made it to work ok. When I got home, the power was back on and I did the happiest happy dance in the driveway. Now we are throwing away all of our food and I get to go to the store!

Thanks Ike for the Adventure!

2 comments:

Emmy said...

WOW! What a week, huh? I don't remember ever having "hurricane days" in school. ..snow days, yes. But, seriously. .crazy.

Whit and Steve said...

sounds crazy!! i feel your pain... i don't what i would do if i couldn't do my hair!! i'm glad things are getting back to normal for you at least on the "hair" front!!