CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 15, 2010

To the Sweet Girls of Stonebridge #235

About three years ago, Eldon took me on a Romantic Birthday get away to Cleveland. I know you are probably saying, "what on earth could be romantic about Cleveland?" Well we stayed at the Ritz Carlton, ate at Hyde Park, and saw my favorite Broadway musical to date, "The Light in the Piazza." When we returned to our hotel room, he had purchased the "romantic package" which included a rose petal turn down service, bubble bath etc. In the background, they had playing my favorite, not his, Pachabel's Canon. The CD is called Pachabel Canon's greatest hits. Now to most musicians, they hate this song. Hate may be a little strong, but usually they don't like the over played and popular classical pieces.

I have spent some time trying to cope with this as I have become so much more exposed to classiscal music since I married Eldon. And here is what I have come up with.

I don't know what it is, but this piece calms my soul. I am not sure if it is the rhythmic four beats that does it, or just the quiet predictability, but I love it. I love my greatest hits album because it is the song over and over again. I think it also has to do with the fact that it was my first real introduction to classical music. It was the first time I connected to a score of music.

So how does this relate to the girls of #235? Well, I remember fondly how our little apartment was always filled with tons of people. Not only did we have 6 people always living there, but we usually had the boyfriends or family of those 6 people. Many times when I had a stressful day, I would go fill up the tub of the back bathroom with bubbles and I would bring in Pachabel's Canon. It would drown out the noise of the commotion outside. As I think back, I can't believe I put a limb into that tub. All I have to say is "EEEW." I guess Pachabel helped me see past the grime and still find a way to relax. It is probably the only way I was able to live there for so many years and survive so many changing room mates.

I know that there are a few of my favorites who follow my blog and to you I say, I love you guys and I am sure I am the only one who had this experience in the tubs of #235!! Somehow we survived the industrial carpet, nasty green couches, and old beds. But more importantly, we made it home and were all able to leave there healthy and happy.

12 comments:

Whit and Steve said...

That was by far one of my favorite years in Provo. I can't say that I enjoyed the lovely tubs, plunging the toilets ALL the time, or anything about the actual decor of the apartment, but it is sharing an apartment with you and the other girls and the many visitors that came through those doors.

I will never forget about our dance parties to collective soul, our wall of photos, sleeping with an eye mask, but most of all being serenaded with the guitar. Oh how I miss those days!!

We need to plan a Stonebridge / Park Plaza reunion. And I'm serious! It has been way too long since I've seen many of the girls.

Trish said...

I so agree. Many of us live out east now. You, Tricia Hobbs, Liz, Julee?? We should plan a weekend somewhere in the middle!

Joe and Liz said...

I loved reading your post Trish. It brought me back to those crazy days of 235. I seriously have the BEST MEMORIES with you guys and living at 235. Honestly I lucked out living there!!

I had to laugh at Whitney's comment about plunging the toilets. I actually have a picture of Whit standing right on the toilet with the plunger!! So funny!
And I can't believe you took a bath in that apartment...seriously gross!!
I'm laughing about the Collective Soul thing because a while back I pulled that CD out and just started jammin' to it like the good old days. Trish, you were the one who actually took me to my first bar!! Quite the crazy experience watching that drunk lady try to dance!!

I could go on and on about our fun times. Ah now I miss everybody!! :( I love ya'll!
That would be so much fun to plan a reunion!

Mikelle said...

I miss you guys!! Stonebridge was the best!! I miss those green couches and dancing in the living room--and I agree with Liz--you took a bath in there?? I miss the constant smell of Dr. Pepper and sleeping in sports bras because we didn't have any A/C--but most of all I miss all of you guys!! That was such a fun fun time!! And if there is a reunion in the works--I want to come--UT is only a plane ride away!!

Trish said...

I will only plan a reunion if we all where our Spice Girls outfits!!!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Ahhh, the carpet and the couches in that place! And bunk beds - who else had bunk beds in college! Oh, and all the hair that was always everywhere. There was a lot of hair in that place.
I would love to get together. Tell me when and where. Dave is always going to conferences and staying in fun hotels and I am home with the girls and Dave said I should plan a weekend with someone and just go - he will be Mr. Mom. So just tell me where and when I am in!
Hopefully we will be buying a house soon so we may even have room here but there just isn't a lot to do in Eastern PA. But we are just 1 1/2 hours from NYC, 3 1/2 from DC and 1 1/2 from Philly so lots of fun places to go and visit!

Joe and Liz said...

I'm in for the Spice Girls costumes!!! :) As long as Christie wears her Canadian flag!! Ha Ha!

Trish said...

Does anyone know where Christie is?? My husband plans stuff like this for a living. Let me talk to him and lets set this up!!

Jessica said...

Those bathtubs were pretty disgusting. Was it you who got a stomach virus and had to spend a whole day in the disgusting bathroom. It might have been little Hen. I just remember that afterwards there was a come to Jesus meeting about keeping the bathrooms cleaner.

Morganicity said...

Oh Trish! My favorite memory of that bathtub is the time you snuck in while I was showering and poured ice water over the shower curtain. Twice!

I still have a scar on my chin from when I tripped getting out of the shower and landed on the toilet seat. And I'm still shocked my chin didn't fall off from some weird infection.

I'm pretty sure I got rid of that dress a very long time ago, so I'll have to improvise for my costume. Anyone want to post pictures? :)

I'm friends with Christie on Facebook. She's back in Canada. I have her e-mail if we get serious about planning, which I agree we should. New York, DC, Nasvhille.

I miss you guys!

Trish said...

Julee!!! It's been 10 years I think. CRAZY. I will put something together. I know we have two pregnant ladies so the time frame will be critical. Anyone want to weigh in on when would be best?

I'm really sorry about the ice. I was a total nerd.

Whit and Steve said...

make that 3 pregnant ladies!!! hee hee!! I just haven't made it blog or facebook official yet, but I will be very soon!! I'm 17 weeks along and due august 2...