CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cruelty

Shaving legs while pregnant. I haven't heard much about this from other women, but anytime I bring it up I usually get a moan. At first I thought it was just me because I'm a bigger girl with a stand up shower. But I have come to realize that bending over while you are 30 weeks pregnant for any length of time for any woman is just cruel. So today I must take a moment to share just how cruel this is.

Like I mentioned above, I don't have a tub in my shower. The shower is just long enough and wide enough that I can't hurle my leg up against the wall either. That has never worked before for me anyway because my legs lets just say are really heavy. The only way I can make it work is to either bend in half and frantically run the razor up and down my legs or to sit on the floor risking to create an unbelievable suction between my buttocks that won't let me get back up again. It's always a huge ordeal.

Let me digress for a minute. My poor husband. When we were first married, I shaved my legs almost daily to have the smoothest legs possible. He didn't even think hair grew on my legs. Well as time went by, it became more and more infrequent. I believe now he understands that my leg hair can catch up to him at anytime if I so desire. Let's just say, I haven't gotten to that point because that's just nastybut we have been close during the last tri-mester of pregnancy.

Back to pregnant shaving. Because I have no oxygen with water running into my eyes, and it is the most painful experience possible I usually let my leg hair grow a little longer just so I can see where I need to shave. The risk: missed patches look unbelievably disgusting. When you are 30 weeks pregnant, not only is it a feat to get to the floor to shave your legs, but getting back up may never happen!!

Today is Sunday. I feel that since I wear a skirt on Sunday's I should have minimal leg hair. I wear the same skirt every Sunday with awful black knee highs. Some of the knee highs you can see through and others not. I never know what will be clean so it's always a gamble. Today was not only the knee high debacle, but it had been a considerable amount of time and so I met the shower with a new blade and determination. I decided to quickly bend over and get it over with. After two seconds into the first leg, I felt like the baby's foot was crawling up my esophogus and my liver was going to explode. I began to be light headed, and there was water running into my eyes. I tried to remember to breathe and went as quickly as I could. One leg down I stood up to start the other. By this time, I already am completely hesitant but I can't have one leg done and the other hairy. So I take a deep breath and bend over for the next round. I race with the razor. I finish quickly and think, I survived. I get out of the shower and begin to lotion my legs and see the tiger stripes on the second leg. In my haste, I totally missed spots and eeewww. I refuse to get back in to fix it and say that will have to wait until the next shower.

So many of you may be saying, "why doesn't she shave in the tub?" I cannot sit in hair infested water. It's just something I can't do. I also don't clean my own tub and am too embarrassed to have the cleaning lady wipe up my hair. It's gross. I have told myself to not complain about this problem, "FIND A SOLUTION!" I even bought this hold to anything handle on an infomercial that I thought I could just prop my leg up on while shaving because it was supposed to "hold to anything." Yeah except for the small print of, not in water and with large amounts of body weight resting on it. The first time I tried, I hit my head on the wall when it broke free and sent me flying.

I think the only solution is going to be remodeling. Our shower is a mess and we need to replace it. I will not let the design go without a place to put up my leg to shave. If anyone else has a solution, or feels the same as I, please share!!

7 comments:

Army Petes said...

It's about this time in each pregnancy that I go buy the leg shaver thing that has the razor with the block of shaving cream surrounding it. They are a little pricey, but heaven sent at the end of pregnancy. Or you could always wax. It hurts, but it's well worth the 6 weeks of not really needing to shave.

Carrie Nation said...

I haven't been using razor-blades on my legs for 6 years now. And I've never been pregnant. I use a Remington electric shaver for women. It does the job, and you can use it anywhere, in whatever the most comfortable position is. I never use mine in the shower. It cuts costs too, as I've had it for 6 years now. I strongly recommend you at least try it. Sounds like you need it! (I still use a razor on my underarm area, though.) Any questions just ask me.

The Katzbox said...

Props to Carrie Nation...and if you can't do it, ummmm, let your hubby do it...or your kids...make it an FHE activity....okay, j/k on that...or pay for a wax, the more you do it, the less hair grows in (not the opposite with more hair growth that some people think-you're actually damaging the hair follicles) so you need the waxing less and less...or, do the Nair route, just smear it on and then rub it rather briskly to take it off...just suggestions...good luck honey....

And just for the record-don't tell anyone (snicker), I tried the Nair thing on nose hair with a Q-tip...don't do it...DO NOT DO IT!!!!

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh, laughing really hard here. What a way with words you have Trish. No suggestions, except that you could get your legs wet, step out of the shower, then prop your leg on the toilet to lather and shave. I don't know the set up of your bathroom, but if the toilet is by the shower or sink you can just periodically stick the razor under running water to clean as you go. Good luck.

Mandy said...

Get mid calf garmets and ankle length skirts....go ape woman!

Joe and Liz said...

Hilarious Trish!!

Red Meat said...

Hi Trish,

This is Julie Ann, your sister-in-law. Being 39 1/2 weeks pregant, I can kind of sympathize. Though I don't have the problem of shaving in the tub and sitting in hair. Im the one who 'usually' cleans the tub --(Brian cleaned this past week for me as it is harder to bend over now-- what a nice guy!)
Anyway, funny you should mention this because just the other day some guy on the news who tests different products to see if they live up to their claim tested a product called 'smooth away'. You don't use it in the shower. The people he tested it on all gave good reviews about it, but to me it seems like it would take quite a bit of time. It seemed kind of like sandpapering the hair away but everyone said there was no pain. He got them off 'smoothaway.com'. Don't know from personal experience how good it works, but it sounds like at this point you would be willing to try about anything. Hopefully this will solve your misery. :)